(877) 456-7632 info@msxgroup.com
Message Boards

Author   Comment  
Rob.Diaz

Reply with quote  #1 
If you've been using Forecaster for several budget cycles, chances are good that you have some data in it which you no longer want, need or use. Removing this data can have a direct impact on the performance of your Forecaster system, so it is a good idea to occasionally take a look and remove things you no longer need.

The zap wizard is a good tool to remove old data, but it may not be your best/easiest option. Below I will list out an alternate plan for how to cleanup your database to remove old, no longer used data. In this scenario, I am assuming you have old Input Sets you can remove and you do not want the data for them to remain in the system anymore.  

You should ensure no one else is in Forecaster and also ensure you have a backup available, just in case.   I cannot stress enough the importance of verifying that you have a backup before you do large data maintenance activities in Forecaster or any other software!

First, remove audit/workflow history:
  1. Go to Tools | Zap.
  2. Choose the History option on the first screen then click Next
  3. Select Audit Trail History on the top of the next screen, then at the bottom choose either "All" or "Clear on or before". If you choose the on or before option, use the calendar to select the date you wish to delete audit history for (it will remove any audit history from that day or earlier).
  4. Finish the Wizard (Note: this step could take some time).
  5. Once finished re-run the Zap wizard again
  6. Choose History on the first screen then click Next
  7. Choose Workflow History on the top of the screen and also choose the input set you wish to remove workflow history for
  8. Choose ALL on the bottom of the screen
  9. Finish the wizard
  10. Repeat steps 5 through 9 for every input set you are planning to remove.
  Next, proceed to removing Input Sets:
  1. Go to Setup | Budgets | Input sets.
  2. Select an input set you are ready to remove from the list in the drop down box.
  3. Click the Delete button
  4. Click Yes to the confirmation
  5. Repeat these steps for each of the input sets you wish to remove.
The above steps remove the HR, Capital, Revenue, Input screen caching, overrides, exchange rates, screen layouts, pay types, salary grades, benefit and tax definitions, memos and the input set definition itself for the selected input set.   Finally, remove the periods you no longer need:
  1. Go to Setup | Segments | Periods
  2. Find the old periods which had been associated with the input set(s) you just deleted. Delete them.
  3. Save.
  4. This step, of course, could take some time.
Anything else you clean up after this is somewhat manual. If you have tasks for an input set you have now removed, just manually delete them. Same thing for old reports, column sets, line sets, etc.   I know the above may seem like a lot of steps, but it really isn't. Also, if you have audit trail history disabled or do not use Workflow, you can skip some of the steps (or they will take virtually no time to complete if you do them).

As always, MSX Group is here to help you keep Forecaster running smoothly for you. Let us know how we can help.

villica

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello

This is very good KB. I got a question regarding the ZAP Audit trails history, It looks like when we performed this function in our system, the lines remained in the system but the columns have no data.

Is this how this function is supposed to work or should all the lines also be gone

This is the response I got from Microsoft

The Line Set values will show by default even when the Audit Trail History is not present.
Rob.Diaz

Reply with quote  #3 

Hi villica,

I'm not sure I know what you mean - where are the lines showing that have no data? 

The Zap of the audit trail will remove all of the data records for a given timeframe.

If you zap ALL of the history, it will effectively truncate that particular table in the database and when you run the Audit Trail Report, you should get no detail lines (the green (by default) colored rows below the accounts in the report). 

If you zap the history "on or before" a given date, then it will remove the records that are older than the date you choose.  When you run the audit trail report, you should get no detail (green) rows on the audit report for dates older than the one you zapped for. 

One thing that could impact this in a way that means some "blank" rows might show.  Specifically, if you choose a column set that uses columns which might span multiple timeframes (i.e. a column set with 2015 and 2016 and 2017 columns in it), if some of these columns are, perhaps, hidden then you might see some detail rows that have no data in the visible columns  but have values in the hidden columns.  

If I've misunderstood where you are seeing these unexpected rows or what you are seeing there, then I'm happy to try to clarify. 

If you need more extensive help, you can contact us at services@msxgroup.com to set up an engagement where we can assist with this and anything else related to Forecaster, or you can reach out to support@msxgroup.com if you're interested in learning about our annual support plan offerings. 

villica

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for the clarification
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.