(877) 456-7632 info@msxgroup.com
Message Boards

Author   Comment  
Noah.Moseley

Reply with quote  #1 

Setting up Capital Detail in Microsoft Forecaster is pretty straight forward and easy. There are a few things to keep in mind, however. Companies will almost always have depreciation expenses for budgeted new assets as well as for existing assets. Typically, existing assets are not imported into Forecaster. Depreciation expense for existing assets should be projected by the company's fixed asset system and then that projected depreciation expense should be imported as ACCOUNT balances by CENTER (Segments other than the ACCOUNT segment in Forecaster). Since Forecaster's capital section will calculate depreciation expense for new assets and post that to a depreciation expense account, make sure that depreciation expense for existing assets is in a different account than depreciation expense for new assets. Otherwise, Forecaster will overwrite the balances and you will lose the depreciation expense for existing assets (since those balances were imported before new assets were budgeted - this adheres to "the last one wins" approach to posting data). I usually do this by creating a dummy account for new asset depreciation expense (i.e. NA001) and a dummy account for existing asset depreciation expense (i.e. EA001). A calculation on the multi-row input screen should add these two dummy accounts together and post the result to the real depreciation expense account. This requires a two-step save process, but it usually proves to be the best approach (Save once to add the new assets. Save a second time on the multi-row input screen to post the dummy account balances to the real account).

http://www.MSXGroup.com

Email me if you need help installing, implementing or just need training on Microsoft Forecaster, Management Reporter or FRx. Plus, Prospero for Financial Reporting and Budgeting is now available. See our introductory video at http://msxgroup.com/prospero_video_introduction

Management Reporter | Prospero | Forecaster | FRx
Training | Consulting Services | Software Support
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.