(877) 456-7632 info@msxgroup.com
Message Boards

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Rob.Diaz

Reply with quote  #16 

I'm more than happy to help troubleshoot this, but I'll need to know more about what isn't working as troubleshooting this issue will depend on the exact issue you're seeing. Does the website come up at all?  Does it simply not allow you to log in?  Is it throwing an error page? 

Note that ODBC is not used by Forecaster, so connectivity to the database via ODBC is helpful in that we know the servers are able to see each other, but it doesn't mean anything more than that. 

Some further questions to help troubleshoot this:

What is the exact error message or response you are receiving when you go to the Forecaster Web access website?  Are you accessing it on the server itself or via a client workstation?  

What version of SQL Server is in use? What version of the SQL Server Native Client and SQL Server Shared Management Objects is installed on the server? Is the server 32-bit or 64-bit?

Let me know the answers and I'll try to assist further as we narrow this down for you.  It might be prudent or more efficient to schedule a call to work through this more directly. Let me know if you'd like to go that route.

Rob Diaz (rob.diaz at msxgroup.com)
MSX Group

jimosity

Reply with quote  #17 

I know that it's not using ODBC, I just wanted to make sure the server was able to communicate with the database.
The website comes up to where it prompts me to log in. I can configure the connection using the Database Registration Tool and that option shows up on the website (accessing via local machine or from a client workstation).
It doesn't matter if I try a SQL dbo user or a domain account (the database is configured to have both) -- they both fail with the same error when trying to log on:
"Microsoft Forecaster Web Access could not log you on. Make sure your User Name and password are correct. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case. Make sure that Caps Lock is not accidentally on."
I can assure you that caps lock is not on and that I'm using valid accounts. I get the same error when connecting via the app itself, directly from the server.
The SQL server is running 2005.
The SQL native client is version 9.00.4035.00
The SQL SMO version is 9.00.1399.06
The server is 64bit. I do have the IIS site to run in 32bit.

Rob.Diaz

Reply with quote  #18 
OK. In IIS, did you disable Anonymous access and enable Basic Authentication?

Also, on the server did you install the 64-bit versions of the native client and management objects for SQL 2005 from as discussed here?

http://boards.msxgroup.com/post/installing-microsoft-forecaster-7-0-on-64bit-operating-systems-4920746?pid=1281019959#post1281019959

On the workstation you are using to access the website, can you verify that the Forecaster Web Access Client Components are installed?

Finally, is the user you are attempting to log in with a valid Forecaster user?  If the user is not a valid Forecaster user, the login will fail.

jimosity

Reply with quote  #19 

In the Forecaster7 virtual directory; I have authentication set to 'Basic Authentication' with all other types disabled.
I did install the x64 Native Client and XMO objects for SQL 2005 from the link you mentioned.

On the workstation; yes - the Web Access Client Components are installed - when attempting to access from a new workstation that has never connected before; they do get installed at first access to the site.

Rob.Diaz

Reply with quote  #20 
Have you successfully logged into the Forecaster full client with the login(s) you are using with Forecaster Web Access?
jimosity

Reply with quote  #21 

I have not - but I think I may know what the problem could be.

I'm using a dbo admin account on the SQL box; but I'm not 100% sure if the account is configured in the app itself to allow a login.

I don't have an admin login to the application itself so I'm waiting on someone that does to do some testing.  I'm only doing the migration from 2003 -> 2008 and installing/configuring the app; but don't have access to log into it.

I assume there is a security table in the database that's configured inside the app.

Rob.Diaz

Reply with quote  #22 
Yes, that is correct.  If the user is not defined within the Forecaster (internal) security, connectivity may be established, but the login will still fail because Forecaster has no indication that the user is allowed to see the data or screens. 

Once you've had a user try it out, please check back in with us to let us know.  I'd recommend having both an admin user and a non-admin user try it, just to be sure all channels are working within the application.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.