(877) 456-7632 info@msxgroup.com
Message Boards

Author   Comment  
GLeung

Reply with quote  #1 
We're having issues with some users not being able to utilize the email function within Forecaster. Some users are able to use the email function (For example: File > Send by email) but for some others they get an "Send mail failed to send message" pop up. They are all Windows 7 machines and I have verified on the Default Programs > File Associations > .url points to Internet Browser and Mailto protocol points to MS Outlook. I also verified MS Outlook is default email program. I've also verified the correct email addresses associated to each account and also the group which the accounts are nested have the send email messages permission checked off.
Rob.Diaz

Reply with quote  #2 
My first guess would be that on the workstations on which this is failing, MAPI hasn't been properly installed.  You can try running a repair of the MS Outlook installation, or you can run the Office installer in 'change' mode and look through the outlook options to see if the Outlook Mapi Service Providers are installed.
GLeung

Reply with quote  #3 
Okay, thanks Rob. I'll try a repair and post back what I find.
GLeung

Reply with quote  #4 
Rob, I did a repair and the same error popped up. All features of MS Outlook are installed. Forgot to mention is that Forecaster is not installed locally on the user's machines. It's installed on a Citrix XenApp server and users access the app off that. Not sure if that makes any difference.
GLeung

Reply with quote  #5 
I also had a user log into a different machine and access Forecaster and the same error popped up.
Rob.Diaz

Reply with quote  #6 
Well, I don't know Citrix XenApp or how it hangs together with client applications, how it utilizes local resources, etc... are all users hitting the same Citrix server? Or are the ones who are successfully using email hitting one and the users who are failing hitting another?

The key thing is that Forecaster relies solely on the "local" install of MS Outlook and MAPI integration on the local machine.  So, if Forecaster is running in the context of a server platform, Outlook has to be running in that same context, otherwise Forecaster can't find it.  My gut instinct here is to say that there is a disconnect somewhere in the Citrix area... something that is preventing Forecaster from being able to reach the MAPI dll.  It may be as simple as there not being an outlook mail profile available in the user's Citrix environment. 

One other thing to consider is that Forecaster relies on local profiles to function. Citrix defaults to utilizing roaming profiles.  So, when you log into a citrix-based app on different machines, you're essentially creating or accessing that roaming profile. Perhaps the user's profile isn't able to hit MAPI-based email?

I don't know if it's an option, but you could try installing Forecaster locally for one of these users and see if that enables the email functionality for the user. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.