(877) 456-7632 info@msxgroup.com
Message Boards

Poll Results

Was this post helpful?
 Yes 1 100%
 No 0 0%
 View Voters
Total votes: 1   Please or sign up to vote.

Author   Comment  
77jim

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi, there

Could anybody tell me how to create an account (traditional) form balance sheet in management reporter?

Thanks a lot.

Jim.

Noah.Moseley

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Jim.

For everyone's benefit, balance sheets may be presented in two forms: report form and account form. Both forms contain the same information but present it differently. For the report form, the balance sheet lists balance sheet accounts going down the page starting with asset accounts followed by the liability accounts and then the stockholders' equity accounts. For the account form, the balance sheet uses a horizontal layout, with the asset accounts listed on the left side and the liabilities and stockholders' equity accounts listed on the right side

For Management Reporter version 2.1.1029.30 (Released July 31, 2012), I have been unable to build the account form version the same way FRx built account form balance sheet statements. I have tried hiding the rows in the report that pull the balances and then using calculations on other rows to move the balances into the appropriate left or right columns (asset accounts on the left and liabilities and equity accounts on the right). The balances can be moved easily. The problem is that Management Reporter will not yet allow me to move the descriptions from the non-printing rows into the left or right columns as needed for the account form balance sheet.

As a limited workaround, I can pull all of the balances using non-printing rows; I can move the balances to the correct columns using CAL calculations; and finally, I can place appropriate descriptions on the left or right sides. For the descriptions, my Column Definition has to have Column A as a ROW Type column and Column C as a DESC Type column. In my Row Definition, my Row Codes in Column A are my asset descriptions. Descriptions in column B of my Row Definition are my liabilities and stockholders' equity asset descriptions. Column B of the Column Definition is an "FD" "YTD" Type column. Column D of the Column Definition is a "CALC" Type column. Pretty good, huh?

There are limitations in column A as Row Codes cannot have spaces with this current version of Management Reporter and can only be sixteen (16) characters, and no special characters can be used such as dashes. Blank rows on the asset side will also display the Row Codes from the Row Definition (Row Codes cannot be blank).

This layout would at least get the account form balance sheet basic layout which you could export to Excel and then easily dress up the asset-side descriptions (i.e. deleting the row codes displayed on blank rows).

Let me know if you want to pursue this further with me. I will also update this post when Management Reporter gives us a better option for building this type of report.

http://www.MSXGroup.com

Email me if you need help installing, implementing or just need training on Microsoft Forecaster, Management Reporter or FRx. Plus, Prospero for Financial Reporting and Budgeting is now available. See our introductory video at http://msxgroup.com/prospero_video_introduction

Management Reporter | Prospero | Forecaster | FRx
Training | Consulting Services | Software Support
cmast

Reply with quote  #3 
Any update on this?  Do we have the ability to copy a description cell in order to do a Side-by-Side balance sheet?

-Chris
Derek.Krebs

Reply with quote  #4 
Per Microsoft's reply there are not plans to include the Side-by-Side Balance Sheet ability in Management Reporter where you can have two different descriptions and accounts (like Asset & Liab) on one single row in the row definition. 

Microsoft reply:  http://community.dynamics.com/product/gp/f/32/p/59938/108187.aspx

Derek Krebs
Derek.Krebs@MSXGroup.com
Noah.Moseley

Reply with quote  #5 
Microsoft did finally include an option in Row Definitions to insert a column break Format Code (COLUMN) which now allows us to have assets on the left-side of a balance sheet statement and liabilities and equity on the right-side. Everything below the "COLUMN" Row Format row will be displayed on the right. 
http://www.MSXGroup.com

Email me if you need help installing, implementing or just need training on Microsoft Forecaster, Management Reporter or FRx. Plus, Prospero for Financial Reporting and Budgeting is now available. See our introductory video at http://msxgroup.com/prospero_video_introduction

Management Reporter | Prospero | Forecaster | FRx
Training | Consulting Services | Software Support
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.