Overview: When you use the Migration Wizard in Microsoft Management Reporter to migrate your FRx reports, not all the information is migrated. The reports and building blocks may be missing some information after they are migrated to Management Reporter.
Migration preparation Tips and Tricks
Note: The Migration Wizard will help you get started with converting existing reports but it not intended to handle all scenarios.
- Before you start data migration, remove unneeded or unused specification sets and building blocks (catalogs, rows, columns, and trees).
- Browse to the shared SysData directory and make a backup of this folder. Then remove any .F32 files that do not match specification sets that are currently in use in FRx.
- Remove any companies that are currently not in use such as FW, FWC, or SolDemo.
- Dimension related items such as accounts in rows, account filtering in columns, and masking in trees must be tied to a catalog or they will not migrate.
- Remove spaces found at the beginning of building block names.
- Remove any unused or potentially invalid companies prior to migration.
- Items found in columns, trees, and catalogs cannot have the same name. Change names to prevent gaps in migration.
- Simplify the migration process by setting all companies as default in FRx. This will allow Management Reporter to obtain segment data for use during the mapping process.
- Rows not associated with a catalog will not migrate. If you want to migrate unassociated row formats, create a new catalog with valid building blocks and save the catalog.
- If the option to look for the F32 files in the same directory as the FrxSys32.mdb is selected, be sure to remove any .F32 files other than the specification sets you intend to migrate.
- Please follow these steps to Compact the Microsoft FRx system database and each Spec Set database as there could be some data corruption causing the problem.
- Have all users click File, and then click Exit to log off from Microsoft FRx.
- Have one user log back in to Microsoft FRx as Administrator.
- In Microsoft FRx, click File, and then click Compact FRx Database.
- Click FRx System Database, click Yes, and then click OK.
- Click File, click Compact FRx Database, click Current Spec Set Database, click Yes, and then click OK.
If you are unable to compact the database, contact Microsoft or MSX Group support.
Migrating FRx 6.7 data
In the Management Reporter Migration Wizard, you will be prompted to configure the companies. During the migration process, which includes migration and conversion, the migration copies all data into the Management Reporter database, where it is converted from an account-based system into a dimension-based system.
The followings items will not migrate:
FRx Report Designer
· FRx Security
- Report chains
- Locked or password protected rows
- Web publishing settings
- Page breaks between units
- Allow column text overflow
- Effective dates
- Subtotal and filter account detail
- Currency Translation rates
- Account sets
- Account Types
- Currency format codes
- Row linking
- XBRL link
- Locked or password protected rows
- XBRL column
- Locked or password protected columns
- Page breaks
- Locked or password protected trees
- E-mail/Security (Column P)
Items that need to be manually configured once the migration completes
- In the migration of reports, catalogs default options will change so that reports will not open automatically when generated. To modify reports in Management Reporter to automatically open when generated, go to Report Definitions, select the Output and Distribution tab, under Other options, select the option View report when generated.
- To update all Report Defintions run the following SQL Statement
UPDATE ControlReport SET ActivateBrowser = 1
- In row migration, NP DES or NP REM rows in FRx that are not FD, TOT, or CAL will migrate but will flag errors. The error will read "Print control options can only be used if the format code is TOT, CAL, or blank".
- Column ranges will not be allowed in calculations.
- A WKS or a CALC column with headers will migrate but will not validate. Remove headers.
- Period ranges only work with PERIODIC columns. For example, any range such as 1:BASE YTD in a column must be set to 1:BASE PERIODIC.
- In the migration of trees, when there is an unknown company message, @ANY will be used for the company.
- Different row definitions specified in the reporting tree will have errors. You will need to use the same row format or remove all row formats to use the default specified in the report definition.
Known issues when you use Microsoft Dynamics products
- Migrated reports will not open when generated without opening through Report Library. Click the View report when generated option under Output and Distribution tab in the Report Definitions. In the the Specify Connection window of the Migration Wizard, if you type in the wrong SQL Server name for the ManagementReporter database the Migration Wizard will be unresponsive for 10 minutes before being able to be re-entered.
- In the Select FRx Data window of the Migration Wizard, you may not be able to see the ellipsis “…” button next to the field Path to the FRx 6.7 FRxSys32.mdb file.
- If you choose Only validate building blocks using cached credentials in the Migration Wizard after you have already completed Only migrate and convert your FRx 6.7 data, the conversion will fail. Users will need to re-enter the credentials and attempt validation again.
- If the Migration Wizard is not at the same version as the Application Server the Migration Wizard will crash.
- BXB and BXC may cause report generation errors in a report migrated from FRx.
· Open the associated Row Definition and click File | Save As.
Give the Row Definition a new name and generate the report again with the new Row Definition.
Delete the original Row Definition.
Known Migration issues when you use Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009
- A row with all wildcards to represent all accounts will migrate as a blank line.
- A column with attribute filters will need those attribute filters removed before migration in order to be able to open the migrated column without error.
- A column containing budget book codes in FRx will need their names changed to remove the word "Budget" before the budget name.
- The base period can reference different periods in some scenarios and should be validated in migrated reports that span multiple years.
- Migrated accounts and dimensions are not trimmed to remove trailing white space.
- A row containing all questions marks (??????) will not migrate. After migration the row will need to be manually updated to ?????? for six character accounts, or an asterisk (*) to wildcard all accounts.
1. No General Ledger/Dimension accounts display after the migration can indicate possible corruption in the f32 report file.
Please follow these steps to re-create your F32 reports file as there could be data corruption within the F32 report file causing the error message.
**Note: Have all users close out of FRx.
A. To export the Catalog, begin by going to Company | Specification Set.
B. Select the Specification Set from which you want to export the report.
C. When the Specification Set has been selected, select the Export button.
D. In the Export Selection dialog box, click the Catalogs and select all. Click the tabs for Rows, Columns, and Trees and select all for each tab.
E. Click Export.
F. In the Create Export File dialog box, select the Drive, Folder and File Name where you want to export the Catalog(s). The file has to be saved with a .TDB (temporary database) extension.
G. Click OK.
H. To import the Catalog, begin by going to Company | Specification Set.
I. Click the New button to create a new Specification Set. You must use a different Name. However, this can be renamed later after you delete the old Specification Set. Make sure that the Location points to a new *.F32 called MRFrxrpts.f32. You should leave the path the same merely rename the frxrpts.f32 file.
J. Click the Import button.
K. In the Select Import File dialog box, select the Drive, Folder and File name where the *.TDB file was saved.
L. Click OK.
M. Click Company | Information and select the company that you want to use the new Specification Set with.
**Note: If you are unable to create a new report file, please contact support, your Microsoft Support or MSX Group Support (Support@MSXGroup.com).